Saturday 4 May 2013

 The Trout Inn



 lovely cows


 This sign says " No Mooring". Der !!!!

 Crayfish fisherman and he was stripped to the waist !

 OK, can you spot Mick ???

 Cor, not the old chap, the old car

 The first and best mooring, so far 


 ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Whilst at Swinford, we walked into Eynsham.  Lovely village.  The children( and there were a lot of children), did a parade wearing may hats, festooned with flowers, feather etc.  and then came some young Morris Dancers, who were excellent. We like the pubs, in this county in general as they welcome dogs in the bar areas. So we had a lovely time here and wonder if all the moorings will be as nice.  Sadly not, we were to find out. It’s a pretty river, but more geared up for the cruiser brigade. The water facilities for bulk water is rather disappointing, as there are only about 3 locks where we are allowed water. All locks have a tap, but these are for containers only. No Hosepipes.
 However as M pointed out, I do have 2 x 5 litre containers.  How long would that take to fill 2x Narrowboats ????
At one lock, the I –am-trying-to—be-amusing lock-keeper, suggested that I put on my xmas list that I would like some nylon( slippy when wet) ropes for my boat, not these extremely sturdy and PROPER ropes that I have.  I suggested, politely and with a smile, that perhaps he should put on his xmas list that he would like some leather gloves( like mine), to protect his soft, lily-like hands.( again, like mine !).  Touche
We have spied a nice 24hr mooring at Bablock Hythe for the return journey, There were 2 large narrowboats there that we know, and they said it was just like a canal towpath. Whey Hey.  We will be staying on that on our way back up.
 
So, onto Newbridge that has 2 pubs and lovely bank moorings at £4 per night.  Ok says Mick, who refuses to stay at Fotheringhay on the Nene for £4, lets stop here for a few nights.  J&M+2, were in front, so they started to nudge into the bank to moor up.  Great we thought, there in. we will now try.  I saw M get OFF the boat, so I leapt for the bank and I was also OFF the boat. Mick was saying that he wasn’t sure that he could get his back end( stern, Mick, stern) in. I looked up, and M was back ON her boat !  Oi, what you doing ?  Can’t get in, OK.   I leapt , no I didn’t, I slid along the bank on my posterior and angled my foot for Trundles gunwhale. I am going in the water, I shouted. No you’re not, said Mick, and hauled me up.   I looked for Nb Barron again, and once more M was OFF her  boat and ON the bank.  Right, lets try again.  I did the same. I jumped OFF trundle and ON to bank.  Looked at what our companions were up to and guess what ?????? M was back on her flipping boat again. For crying out loud. ! We all threw our hands into the air, and gave it up as a bad job. ! After a bit of deliberation, we found a mooring outside of The Trout Inn ( expensive) at Tadpole Bridge. The catch? We have to dine at The Trout.  OK.  Now, bearing in mind Mick is an honorary yorkshireman and Jim is a Scot, when we looked at the menu,they gulped.  Ok, lets bite the bullet. Or should we have 1 starter twixt 4 and 1 pint with 4 straws?
So M and I dolled ourselves up( well as much as you can do for being narrowboaters). The blokes didn’t .We had a very, very nice meal and  expensive.Our table was in a dark corner!
 
I do not like whats gpoing on with this blog, so may be changing it completely.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment